Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Organization is Cheerful, Immediate and Complete

Sometimes I still need a mom to tell me to go clean up my room house. My mom used to always tell us that true obedience was cheerful, immediate and complete. I’d like to borrow that mantra, and alter it for my current stage of life.

True Organization is cheerful, immediate and complete.

You see I’m moving into our first home this week, and as I pack up my little 1 ½ bedroom apartment, I am simultaneously shocked at how many things I have half-finished here and there, and intimidated by the thought of keeping a 3 bed, 2 ½ bath, home (with an additional cottage) organized. The problem is, I am both the person who can’t rest when things are in disorder, and the person who is easily distracted from the task at hand (did you see that butterfly… ooo… a mini Snickers bar!).
So today I am waxing philosophical concerning my housekeeping skills and making the following observations:

Disorganization comes from:                          
  • Not dealing with things the first time I handle them.
  • Not carrying things to their complete end.
  • Which results in a frustrated and discouraged housekeeper.

Hmm… let’s review… Cheerful, Immediate, Complete. If a system is too complex I simply won’t remember it. Surely three little words will stick the landing (pardon the Olympics reference, but it’s that time of year). 

All the best organization books (of which I have read several) say that the key to organization is how many times you handle something. If you bring the mail in, don’t just put it on the table to be moved before dinner, moved again when you are cleaning later, and then moved again when you actually need it. Sort it immediately. Find a system for each area of disorder, and stick to it.
If it comes through your door, deal with it immediately, deal with it completely, and give your family the benefit of a cheerful mom.

Check out my Pinterest board, Making Life Smarter, for some of my favorite organization solutions which I intend to implement in the new house.

No comments:

Post a Comment