Saturday, November 24, 2012

The Joy and Challenge of Leading Your Kids Towards Jesus

One morning during my quiet time as I was praying aloud (a habit I've formed when alone to keep my heart focused on the Lord) my little 13 month old daughter toddled up. She tapped my knee. I looked up and smiled,
"Hi sweetie."
She made the sign for prayer.
"Yes, mama is praying to Jesus."
She quickly signed "please", then "up" so I pulled her into my lap.
She tapped my knee again.
"Please", "More", "Pray"
My heart jumped! It's so difficult to tell how much a child of one year can understand. My husband and I pray so much for our little girl to have a heart that recognizes and responds to the Lord at an early age. That morning will always stay with me, both the joy and delight of her response and the reminder that she will imitate what she sees in me.
Joy comes in all shapes and sizes. I think though one of the greatest joys we can experience as a Christian is the joy of seeing someone we love and have invested in take steps toward spiritual growth. Our "children" choosing to seek and follow the Lord on their own. I don't care if you are single, married with no children, have children of your own, or if you are separated from your children, this still holds true. Paul (a single missionary who spent most of his life on the road or in prison) spoke of his "children" with great love, and John, speaking of those He nurtured in the faith said, "I have no greater joy than to see that my children walk in the truth." There is something in our hearts that leaps in response to the delight our "children" experience in the discovered joy of following God on their own initiative. Our spirits rejoice with God, and them, as we see first hand God responding to their seeking heart.
Don't loose the teachable moments, don't let complacency corrupt our thinking by allowing the feeling that our example is unimportant or unnoticed.
Every moment is seen, every moment important.

No comments:

Post a Comment